Allama Iqbal Medical College,Lahore

October 9, 2007

History of Allama Iqbal Medical College

Filed under: Uncategorized — Straw @ 8:13 am

The Government’s initiative in the mid seventies to establish new seats of learning to spur medical education and research in Pakistan helped to materialize the aspirations of the teachers to open new vistas for community oriented medical education. Consequently this institution was established on May 2, 1975 as LAHORE MEDICAL COLLEGE.

Prof. Dr. Akhtar Hussain Awan was the first Principal when the College started functioning at Birdwood Road. Dr. Muhammad Afzal Sheikh was the first Professor of Anatomy while Prof. Dr. Mahmood Ali Malik and late Prof. Dr. Abdul Ghaffar laid the framework of the Physiology Department. Dr. Sanaullah was the first Administrative Officer leading an able team comprising Mr. Mian Nazir Ahmed, Mr. Zeeshan Awan and Mr. Mirza Muhammad Jamil.

On August 12th 1975, a batch of three hundred and thirteen students began their first academic day of what were to become the glorious traditions of a great institution. Two years later, the College was renamed Allama Iqbal Medical College to commemorate the centenary celebrations of the great philosopher.

Although the odds were unfavorable in the beginning, but by the grace of Allah and the painstaking efforts made by students and staff, the college progressed by leaps and bounds and has proved its worth in this very era of competition. It was housed temporarily in a borrowed inadequate building with meager Audio Visual teaching aids at the Post-Graduate Medical Institute, Birdwood Road, Lahore. The space was so limited that two shifts of teaching and practical classes were held to accommodate all the students. Soon the renovation and expansion was taken in hand to make breathing space for the medical graduates, a closed circuit TV system and a few electric gadgets were added to improve the teaching system but these efforts remained inadequate because of large number of students studying in this college.

Meanwhile, in 1980, the final plan for Allama Iqbal Medical College Complex was agreed upon and its foundation stone was laid in March 1980. 1985 marks the era of evolution in the history of Allama Iqbal Medical College when Prof. S.A.R. Gardezi took over as Principal of the college. He took the challenge of gigantic task of constructing the Allama Iqbal Medical Complex in a befitting manner in the shortest possible time. With the sanction of Rupees 670 millions out of which Rupees 370 millions were for the building and Rupees 300 millions were for the equipment, the work on the construction of the campus started. The college complex was inaugurated by the then President Ghulam Ishaq Khan on 18th May 1989. The work on 1100 bedded Jinnah Hospital started in 1988.

Initially the Services Hospital was affiliated with AIMC, but later as the College moved into its present campus in 1990, Jinnah Hospital was built as a dedicated teaching hospital. The Hospital started functioning in 1994, when the OPD was opened. Soon the department of Radiology, Radiotherapy and Pathology started working. The emergency and casualty department was opened to public on March 23rd 1995 and the Diabetes Clinic was started on May 28th 1995.

Jinnah Hospital was officially inaugurated on Feb. 2, 1996 by the then Prime Minister, Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto reflecting the importance which the Government attaches to the provision of health opportunities to the community.

Today Allama Iqbal Medical College Complex has a vast beautiful campus, spread over an area of 103 acres on the canal comprising the basic departments, administrative block, library and fountain pavilion, well equipped modern lecture theatre complex and cafeteria. It provides residential facility for 1000 medical students, 200 internees, 500 nurses and a colony comprising 200 houses for the employees.

For the purpose of extra- and co-curricular activities, a sports complex including separate gymnasiums for boys and girls, swimming pool, tennis courts, hockey and cricket grounds, and an elegant auditorium with a seating capacity of 1000 have also been built.

This illustrious Complex is meeting with all the requirements of the students of Allama Iqbal Medical College at under- and post-graduate levels and a large number of patients are benefiting from it as it provides treatment in all major fields of medicine. With the co-operation of the government, and the dedication of our teachers and the commitment of our students, we intend to become the center of excellence in service for the community.

Advertisements

Jinnah Hospital

Filed under: Uncategorized — Straw @ 8:12 am

When the name of Jinnah is mentioned strengths like dedication, commitment, hard work and self less service come to mind. Named after the Father of our Nation, Mr. Muhammad Ali Jinnah, this hospital has a strong history of serving hundreds of thousands of poor and deserving patients from all over Pakistan.

This important health Institution that has been providing services to the very poor localities of our country for the last one decade, was made autonomous in the year 2002. The result has been a perfect amalgamation of private-public partnership alleviating the suffering of the poor. Jinnah Hospital’s motto, “dignity in service”, is a reflection of the vision held by our great leader Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah.

Spread over 105 acres and with 1100 beds, Jinnah is the second largest teaching Hospital in the Punjab. In the words of Prof. Sibit-ul-Hasnain, Principal Allama Iqbal Medical College & Jinnah Hospital, this is the first autonomous Hospital that has been properly built according to a premeditated design with three main areas. First, there is a residential area for doctors, students and for the first time a rest area by the name of “Sarai” where the relatives of the patients can find temporary lodgings. Then on one end is the Hospital and third area is the Allama Iqbal Medical College.

Being strategically placed near the motorway, Jinnah is the official Hospital where all major or minor accident cases from the Motorway are brought. A majority of patients at Jinnah come from the surrounding poor suburbs like Bhai Pheru, Pattoki, Raiwind and all the near villages. Jinnah also caters to the southern localities of Lahore as well as southern Punjab. Jinnah is a teaching Hospital as well.

Jinnah Hospital has provided all the services and facilities under one roof. I has a team of 65 consultants and surgeons which are among the top ranking professionals in the country. It has all the departments like, Gynae & Obs, Cardiac Surgery, E.N.T, Paediatrics, Psychiatry, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Pathology, General Surgery and Medicine. What makes Jinnah stand out among other public hospitals is additional departments like Oncology (cancer treatment), Radiology, Plastic Surgery, Dermatology, Urology, Neurosurgery.

Jinnah Hospital’s services in terms of equipment also make it shine. Complete Pathology tests and scans including CT, X-ray, ultrasound and Mammography are performed here. There are certain services; machines and equipment which, although easily available in the private sector are too expensive to purchase or maintain in the public sector. Jinnah Hospital has an edge over the public hospitals in having certain machinery like a Radiotherapy machine (Cobalt 60) which is functional in Jinnah Hospital. Also Jinnah Hospital is the only public hospital equipped with a Mammography machine.

What is given above is just the tip of the iceberg. Jinnah’s scale of services and facilities are difficult to fathom. With a management that has the sense to make the best of its autonomy, a highly dedicated and qualified staff, latest facilities and the will to serve the poor, Jinnah is there to serve and to continue serving for decades to come.

An average of 550000 patients visit the Out patient & Emergency Department every year where 70% of the treatment is given completely free. Every year more than 150000 tests are carried out in the Pathology lab. During the last year, the Accident & Emergency Department treated 134477 patients, which were not charged even a rupee for admission, tests or in case an operation is carried out.

This institution has undertaken a number of initiatives amongst those initiation of First BSc Nursing classes of College of Nursing, establishment of Jinnah Burn and Reconstructive Surgery Center, approval for the establishment of First Liver diseases Transplant and Punjab Institute of Organ Transplant (PIOT).

Introduction

Filed under: Uncategorized — Straw @ 8:10 am

Allama Iqbal Medical College Lahore is a prestigious institution named after the national poet Allama Muhammad Iqbal. It was established in May 2, 1975 at Birdwood Road, with Services Hospital attached to it. It was then shifted to its present location in May 18, 1989 and attached with Jinnah Hospital Lahore. It is bestowed with a beautiful campus of lush green lawns and tall shady trees spread over a vast area. Situated on the bank of canal, it is an ideal environment for learning. The institution is rapidly picking up pace with the newer needs and growing trends in medical profession. In a short time, it has become a focus of medical education, training, patient care and research & development. In the march of time this institution has established its supremacy in the area of medical education. The institution is blessed with highly qualified and trained teachers and consultants of national and International repute. Therefore medical students have rated it as the top most choice for their studies. With 1416 students studying to be doctors at Allama Iqbal Medical College and learning practical procedures at Jinnah, over 7000 doctors have graduated from here over the last ten years.

September 29, 2007

Hello world!

Filed under: Uncategorized — Straw @ 7:22 am

Welcome to WordPress.com. This is your first post. Edit or delete it and start blogging!

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.